Saturday, November 22, 2008

3 local dishes

Yesterday after I got home for teaching, office hours, emails, research, etc., I made some soup with backyard carrots, local potatoes, and beef broth from local, grass-fed cows. We ate that with bread from the farmer's market.

While the soup was simmering I milled some wheat from the WIU Allison organic farm and added it to local milk to make overnight batter for waffles. The next morning I added local eggs to the batter and served the waffles with local honey.

Back to after dinner last night, we made brownies with butter, unsweetened chocolate, a little of the flour I had milled for the waffles, local eggs, and sugar. I can't get unsalted butter or chocolate locally, so only the eggs and flour were local. These treats are the essence of brownies--so much better and healthier than box brownies, and not any more difficult to make.

No comments: