Friday, December 26, 2008

A Schizophrenic Diet

One day after work in December, after eating the last of the stored lettuce from Barefoot Gardens, I had to face the reality that, except for butternut squash, a braid of garlic and a bunch of carrots still under the frozen ground in the yard, we were out of local produce. We went to Hy-vee.

These are the fresh things I bought that I had managed to avoid for 6 months:

-Avocados from Mexico
-Blueberries from Argentina (I justified this by reasoning that my kids need color in their diet)
-"Organic," but not-so-firm Broccoli (California?)
-Slimy "organic" Spinach, which I will not buy again (California)
-"Organic" (if not really environmentally friendly or humane) bananas from I don't know where
-"Organic" potatoes that are actually in pretty decent shape for having travelled form CA.

We're eating a schizophrenic diet--local, fresh, firm, and full or flavor for the 6 warmer months and then travel weary, wilted, wrinkled, and bland for the 6 colder months.

One nice exception to this schizophrenic diet is the carrot salad that brighted our Christmas dinner. The ground thawed one day in December and we harvested several pounds of gnarly, but delicious, carrots. Well, there are more exceptions. Tom made a spectacular stuffing with BFG butternut squash and Scott Worl's dried corn that I had ground in the Nutrimill. I made cookies with Allison Farm wheat. We ordered a Ham from Grassrun Farm in Iowa.

Still, I'm not looking forward to the next 4 months of grocery store food.

No comments: